With St. Patrick’s Day weekend already here, it’s a good idea to remember that it’s not all rainbows and shamrocks. While most of us just want to celebrate and have fun with our friends, sometimes carelessness and lack of planning can lead to trouble. Don’t depend on the “luck o’ the Irish” to keep you safe as you enjoy the festivities! Follow these steps to ensure that your holiday is safe and fun.
- Plan ahead. Be sure you have a game plan for your evening. Where will you be and whom will you be with? Of course, there may be last minute changes, but if you have a game plan ahead of time, you can make sure that someone else knows where you’ll be should something go wrong or in case of an emergency. It’s also a good idea to be sure that you’re familiar with your surroundings. New or unfamiliar places combined with intoxication can lead to a variety of problems from letting your cab know where to pick you up to ending up in a dangerous area.
- Select a designated driver. Likely the most important part of your St. Patrick’s Day celebration, choosing a safe form of transportation is key to making sure that you and your friends get home safely. If you plan on drinking at all, it’s best to go ahead and make sure you have a designated driver. It’s also a good idea to have a backup plan in case the your designated driver decides to partake in the merriment. Whether it’s another friend or a cab, there are plenty of other options. Whatever you do, be sure that no one in your party gets behind the wheel after drinking.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water and eat. It’s a pretty safe bet that you and your friends will be celebrating and drinking on the “Irish National Holiday.” With that said, limiting the effects of alcohol both on the night and the following morning are key to really enjoying yourself. Be sure to eat a balanced meal and keep plenty of water in your system. This will help you enjoy the festivities longer and not have regrets the following morning.
- Bring only what you need. Who wants to wrestle with a dozen different things while you’re trying to have a good time? Big bulky bags and hands full of personal items can be a pain to keep up with and can easily get lost or stolen. Bring only what you need: keys, wallet, cell phone.
- Celebrate with friends. Parties are always more fun with friends, but they’re safer, also. When we celebrate with a group of friends we trust, we significantly reduce the risk of making dangerous choices or being taken advantage of by questionable characters. With someone to watch your drink, food, and personal items while you step away, you are ensuring that you and your items are safe till you return. Friends are also there to help make sure that you get home safely after a night at the bar.
Even with the best of planning, sometimes things can get out of hand. If you have an encounter with the police during your evening, always remember to be respectful. If you do wind up in a “pinch” and need legal representation, call DUI and Criminal Defense attorney Scott Brannen. The Brannen Law Office, P.C. will utilize years of experience in representing you. As a former prosecutor, Scott Brannen has over 17 years of experience in the courtroom.
Don’t let one night of fun ruin your future. With these simple steps the Luck o’ the Irish is sure to follow you as you celebrate. Here at The Brannen Law Office, P.C., we would like to wish you a happy and safe St. Patrick’s Day.